Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Wednesday Hodge Podge

I Credit Joyce with this blog hop but really I saw it at Reflections from Kathy.


1. What does it mean to have the 'holiday spirit'?
I believe it is the love and joy that people feel this time of year...everywhere you go, people greet you with cheer...there is a smile in our hearts
2. What's tops your tree (s)? Why?
A special tree topper from Hallmark for the series: Mary's Angels...there are two angels and they are reading the proclamation and a large two piece star is behind them...its always been a star or angel.
3. When was the last time you gave yourself a pat on the back?
Whenever a sewing project comes together without any seam ripping and redoes..The Gardener's Journal when I sewed all the blocks together....I hate redoes and have been known to throw a project out if I had to do that.
4. Which of your senses is most sensitive this time of year?
Like Kathy, I think it is probably sight...I have no sense of smell so we can rule that out...I love seeing all the different decorating styles....Listening to Christmas Music is second on my list (if it is something I like)....I love listening to Mannheim Steamroller...
5. What is there too much of in your kitchen?
Counter top clutter...If you asked what there is too little of, I'd have to say counter space...makes baking a challenge...but there are certain things that just have to stay on the counter like the coffeepot...knife block...paper towels...
6. What do you do for meals on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day? Big meal? Breakfast tradition? Open the cookie tins and have at it?
Christmas Eve has always been for our immediate family..when the children were at home, we had a special meal and opened gifts from each other so that tradition has continued...we get together with our daughter and her family since they are so close..since I've moved back, we alternate hosting it...and it is her time this year...we used to have a meal, something non Christmas like steak or pizza but now we just do heavy appetizers.......We used to go to my Mom's for breakfast and I'd help her cook, other family members would drop by....Christmas Day has always been spent with Honey Bear's extended family...cousins, aunts, etc...We've seen family members go home and be missed through the years but we're still having it...When I married into the family, it was at Honey Bear's grandparents home...then we started having it at a community center for the next 30 years or so..last year we began having it at his grandparents home again...he has one unmarried aunt who lives there.....It has become harder to have a get together with my extended family at Christmas time so we've started meeting the weekend after New Year's...Traditions change once our parents have gone home.
7. What is the best thing about winter?
Winter isn't a favorite of mine...I don't like the hazardous weather conditions we sometimes have here in the south since we're not used to snow or ice...so I guess the best thing is that Christmas is in the Winter.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
Better get back in the kitchen and finish mixing those cookies.

11 comments:

  1. Send a few cookies my way, will ya? : )

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you joined in this week--I loved reading your answers!

    Speaking of cookies...I'm currently resting, after making a batch of "no bake cookies"--my first ones. They turned out good...Yay for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My youngest just arrived home from uni today and is already in the kitchen baking : ) So glad you played along today-its nice to 'meet' you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my second try leaving a comment so if you get two, just delete one. I love reading about you and your days. I want to tell you that I got the most pleasant surprise in the mail today. Thank you so much for thinking of me at Christmas. I wish I could get my act together and send Christmas cards because it makes you feel so good to get one. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i made SO MANY cookies today.
    which makes my parents mad - because with only 3 of us in the house, there are only three to eat them. So, I packaged a bunch up and they've taken them to work with them :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed reading your answers. We have always had an angel or a star tree topper,too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that sounds like a super topper for the tree. I usu have a Muffy Angel dressed in Red that has a proclamation scroll...Joy to the World. But, this year just a ribbon with tendrils falling all the way down the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are your Christmas cookies shortbread? We have by tradition made shortbread for Christmas. I make a shortbread with ginger pieces scattered through.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am making a big pan of "raw brownies" tomorrow. It is a new recipe that I am anxious to try..

    Merry Christmas my friend........ I pray that the new year will bring each great joy and peace......

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by...in answer to your question, Yes, I did put peanut butter in those no-bake cookies! I forgot to mention that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cookies? Did you say cookies? I'm a sucker for sweets....color me there!!

    Yes, I know what you mean about traditions changing once our own parents leave us behind. Our memories are now what holds us together this time of year. At least for me.

    Just wanted to pop in this morning and thank you for the darling card...love the glitter and the sentiment within!!!

    Happy holidays.

    ReplyDelete