Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Wednesday HodgePodge/Outdoor Wednesday

Traveling into the Wednesday Hodgepodge-Vol 31

1. What is one thing on your bucket list? If you don't have one let's pretend you do. 
I don't really have one....I suppose if the doc said I had a year to live there would be things I'd want to do, though....I'd spend some time with my son and his family....maybe take that road trip up the east coast in the Autumn and the Alaskan Cruise. I guess money is a factor when it comes to doing the things on my wish list.
2. What makes a good dad? Patience is what comes to mind first....I think of my own Daddy and I think he was special. I always felt his love for me....He enjoyed being with us at any age....and was very tenderhearted.
3. Are you afraid of insects? Which ones? Not really as long as they respect my space...I don't like big spiders...and I certainly don't won't to be stung by bees, wasps, hornets or yellow jackets.
4. We're barbecuing...what's on the grill at your house?Most often its hamburgers and hot dogs....although when the power was off, we cooked just about everything on the grill.
5. Do you believe playing is more important than winning?Yes, the fun of the game and friendly competition...there are some in our family who really come undone when they lose....and are annoying when they win, too...
6. Do you tan? Use self tanners? Visit tanning salons? See your dermatologist at least once a year? Yes, because of the medication I take, I tan very easily after I turn red and splotchy.....I've used the self tanners and I admit to visiting a tanning salon years and years ago before we knew so much about skin cancer...No, I don't visit a dermatologist.
7. Five years ago I would never imagine that today I would... be spending only weekends with Honey Bear....at one time, I thought I'd live in Memphis until he retired and I thought about how much time I was missing with Wonder Boy and the Princess although I saw them once a month except in Winter....when we bought this house, we thought he would be able to retire because our investments were doing so well and then the bottom fell out of the economy so now we're living apart during the week...
8. Insert your own random thought here.
In the summertime when all the leaves and trees are green and the red birds sing.....anyone remember that song?
I'm not a big fan of summer...don't like vacations on the beach when its so hot...don't like to sweat....don't like Flies, Ants, Bees, Mosquitoes, etc......most outdoor activities this time of year do not appeal to me...I do, however, like the fresh veggies, especially tomatoes...I like visiting the Farmers Market....I enjoy seeing the parents with the baby birds in our yard.....I like having the grandchildren visit and spending special time with them when they're not in school....and I like seeing flowers in bloom.....I love air conditioning and I still remember summers without it so I can really appreciate it.....
The Bible says to everything there is a season so I know Summer has its place and it is part of God's plan. Today, I'm praying for rain and a break from the heat...
For Outdoor Wednesday, I'm showing our porch and pond area in the backyard.







I'm joining Joyce for Wednesday Hodgepodge and Susan for Outdoor Wednesday.

7 comments:

  1. You have some real comfy looking benches! I love your flowers and the way you describe everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to avoid being in the sun too long -- I burn pretty quickly and we have skin cancer in the family.

    I had wondered how your husband's working situation and your living situation came about. Hopefully he'll be able to retire soon.

    I can remember summers without AC, too, hearing the fans going all the time. I am so thankful for AC.

    It's overcast and sprinkling here. We do need a good rain. Hope we get some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your backyard looks so cozy...I hope that Honey Bear will be able to retire soon, so that you will be able to be together more. I hope you are having a good week! ~Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't really have anything on a bucket list either, need to think of something.

    I'm afraid of bugs and spiders, and I'm terrified of snakes!!

    I'm coming to H'ville soon for a quick visit.

    Be sure and read my post last week, good news!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you shared photos of your pond area. It's beautiful--and I can see your fish.

    We grill a lot of hamburgers and hot dogs, too :)

    My hubby wants to retire so bad...but it's just not in the cards for him either, right now. I think we have the same problems along those lines...

    Hope you had a good time at Hobby Lobby and Wally World :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My skin does funny things in the sun now too. Ugh. Just one more thing to add to the list of aging fallout : )

    Hope the retirement date is drawing near...enjoy the weekends you spend together. Time is precious isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Back yard is beautiful! and YES YES YES I remember the song....... Started singing it right away!

    In the summertime when all the trees and leaves are green
    And the redbird sings, I'll be blue
    'cause you don't want my love

    I have grown tired of FB and have so missed every one in the blog..... so I am moving back here and less and less of FB...... Summer time here is moving by so fast and it is hot hot hot! I hate to see what it is going to be like in August..

    I will read a few blog back and see how you and your daughter are doing......

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete