Monday, December 10, 2012

A Simple Woman's Daybook



From Mama Bear's Journal

FOR TODAY...Monday, December 10, 2012

Outside my window...dark, raining and cooler at 58°F, 14°C...today's high is supposed to be 67, the temperature is supposed to reach a low before tomorrow morning of 30....we've had a touch of Spring but it is all over now.

I am thinking...about the shopping and baking I need to be doing but on a day like today, I don't want to do anything...

I am thankful...for Honey Bear, a snug cozy house on a rainy day, that I don't have to get out and drive in it.......for the phone call from my son and two of my nieces yesterday, nice to catch up......that we're both healthy

From the kitchen...not much.....I'm thinking of making some potato salad, ham and Lima beans for dinner...or maybe grilled ham & cheese sandwiches with chips.....or maybe its going to be a chili night.....there's leftover pizza for lunch

I am wearing...a red fleece robe

I am creating...this cross stitch piece (hard to see, its so wrinkled)


and these little storage/shopping bags
as well as a few more dish cloths
I am going...to stay home today....we were supposed to pick up trash on our adopted mile but alas, the rain....

One year ago today...on 12/13 it was 47 degrees and supposed to reach the sixties....I was planning to bake cookies....reading Redfield Farm....I still had to prepare cards for mailing but I was finished with shopping and gift wrapping...

I am wondering...if maybe I'll should try to bake at least one kind of cookie today to get a head start.....still lack a few ingredients for three kinds but could maybe do two others...

These days I'm reading...Stone Heart by Luanne Rice....my books in waiting stack is getting small and I am wondering what I'll read next...I have a couple of Christmas books I could read...

I am praying...that Wonder Boy doesn't have Celiac's Disease....for my X son in law as he has chemo....for Cee Kay and Shorty Bear and Jennifer...

I remember when...Mama and we girls would do the Christmas baking....my Mama was a good cook and she loved nothing more than feeding her family and guests......some of the cakes I remember her baking were: The Lane Cake (with frosting of cherries and coconut and a touch of spirits, A German Chocolate Cake, Chocolate Pound Cake, and Fresh Coconut Layer Cake (which required peeling and grating a coconut.

I am looking forward to...a sunny day

A verse for today...In his kindness God called you to share in his eternal glory by means of Christ Jesus. So after you have suffered a little while, he will restore, support, and strengthen you, and he will place you on a firm foundation. 1 Peter 5:10

Discovering that....I can say "no" to some things...I don't have to do it all

I am hearing...the washing machine (I'm on my 3rd load of the day) wind chimes on the back porch

Around the house...cards need mailing as well as  other paper work to do.....I need to put away the decorations I've dragged out...vacuum the floor....make the bed, unload the dishwasher,finish putting away items in the studio,  and take a shower

Song that stays on my Mind..."I Heard the Bells"

A favorite quote for today..."How did it get so late, so soon? Its night before its afternoon. December is here before its June. My goodness how the time has flewn. How did it get so late, so soon?" Doctor Seuss

One of my favorite things...dressing up for a Christmas party...............seeing other bloggers' decorations

A few plans for the rest of the week: shopping for groceries and presents for the adopted family.....baking cookies.....luncheon on Wednesday.....Christmas party on Thursday night....Book Club on Friday....Cookie Swap on Saturday

From my photo file....

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like the perfect day to stay in Momma Bear.

    Love the bags you made.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly appreciate your prayers, love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've been enjoying springy temperatures bu we're back in the 30s today. I was very glad I didn't have to go out in the rain yesterday, either.

    I also hope your grandson doesn't have celiac disease.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sammie, your home looks so pretty!! And I love the pretty bags you've created -- how fun they are! Good for you learning to say no -- it was a lesson hard-learned for me. Hugs to you! :)

    ReplyDelete