Tuesday, July 16, 2013

A Simple Woman's Daybook


FOR TODAY...Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 7:30 am

Outside my window...the porch is wet from a night time shower...the sun is shining, it is 76 degrees and expected to reach 91....I can see the chickens, we're down to 3 now as we're slowly getting rid of the roosters....the hens aren't mature enough to lay eggs yet but soon...

I am thinking...the grass needs mowing again

I am thankful...that the AC is working...we had another problem with it on Thursday and Friday but it has run fine since then.

From the kitchen...I'll be making vegetable soup this morning and canning it.....I have almost everything cooked and prepared so it just means, mixing it all together in the soup pot, heating to boiling then putting in jars and processing.

I am wearing...pink pjs and robe

I am creating...a messenger bag in my team's colors...starting a new cross stitch 

I am going...to get dressed before starting the soup

One year ago today...there was no post on the 16th but on the 13th it was raining and the temperature was 70 degrees at 6:00 am....I was getting ready for my club's salad luncheon, planning to make apple dumplings.....I was quilting my sampler and crocheting dish cloths.....reading: "If you could see me now".....we were getting Okra and Tomatoes from the garden.....and recovering from a drought (so different this year)

I am wondering...why I woke with a sore throat

These days I'm reading...The Wedding Machine....just finished Water's Edge

I am praying...for Rene, whose Father passed away on Wednesday....for Genece who is recovering from knee surgery, Freda who is recovering after breaking her hip....for my son in Afgan. and his family

I remember when...I used to get together with Mama and can soup in her kitchen....precious memories......I wish you were here with me today, Mama, chores always were so much easier when we did them together.....Mama's kitchen was always so hot in the summer (they only had a window unit AC and it was in the living room so it didn't do a lot to cool the kitchen)....

I am looking forward to...having the soup canning finished....I know I'll be tired at the end of the day

A verse for today...Psalm 121:1 I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help

I am hearing...the fan.....traffic in the distance.....an airplane

Around the house...Smokey is asleep on the sofa.....Honey Bear is listening to a book on his laptop with his earphones on......I'm still drinking coffee

Song that stays on my Mind...the one the choir sang on Sunday....the verse that says: My God will not be moved, My God will never change, My God will reign forever more

A favorite quote for today...Summertime and the living is easy....(yeah, right)

One of my favorite things...a clean house....my carpet is so in need of 
cleaning

 From the Garden ..Squash....Potatoes....Onions....Tomatoes....Blackberries.....Cucumbers

A few plans for the rest of the week:going to the museum on Thursday to see the Heritage Quilt Exhibit and then have lunch with friends

From my photo file....
 Wil is at Camp Good Bear

Another Lily from the yard
this one is not a Daylily....but is an Asiatic,
I believe.

8 comments:

  1. Pretty lily!! It's huge.
    This time of year, having A/C problems is NOT good. Glad it's running smoothly now. I always fear having the power go out on a scorching day. LOL

    Glad to see you stop by to visit with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had a desire to can, but I can imagine it is gratifying to have provisions laid up and in the winter to be able to just pull a can of soup off the shelf.

    Glad your AC is working. It's hard to function without it these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never canned soup - how do you do that? Just put it into steralised bottles? How long does it keep for? I am interested ... it's "beary" cold here at the moment. I made lasagne for dinner - it was very good! Nearly time to climb into my nice warm bed. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, that canned soup will be delicious this winter! I've been dying to can some homemade vegetable soup, but haven't taken time to do it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have blogged so infrequently since Mac was having his health issues, and just recently started back...how wonderful to see you telling me hello! I have missed you Mama Bear...I promise to stay closer to home from now own
    love love love
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have been busy!!! Love the colour of that lily.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So good to hear from you! That homemade vegetable soup sounds delicious! My mother and grandmother used to can it and it was wonderful! Wish I had some!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete