Thursday, February 27, 2014

Thursday Thoughts

It is a beautiful day today even though the temperature didn't reach 40 and the wind chill is cold.
My Women's Club was invited to a soup and salad luncheon at a member's home after which we watched the movie: Marigold Hotel in home theater. How lovely it was to relax in reclining seats while watching a movie with friends. The theater holds 12 and there were 11 of us. This is not a new movie but it was one I hadn't seen. I recommend it if you've not seen it. It stars Maggie Smith and Judith Dench.

I made a stop at Hobby Lobby this morning. I was going to use their 40% off one item coupon to purchase a border punch. I thought I would just run in and buy the one item and skedaddle out of there. Silly me. I had to look at paper and embellishments and storage containers, etc. etc. There is no quick stop at a craft store for me. The sooner I learn that the better. I had not been in Hobby Lobby since Christmas and must see some of the decorations they had for Valentine's Day on sale, of course. I would have loved to look at the garden decor section but forced myself to get out of there. I must go back soon when I have plenty of time.

The author of a Blog I've been following for years lost her husband before Christmas. I just found out about it this week. She posted for the first time since the Fall. Some of what she said has stuck with me since I read it. When one has been married happily for any number of years, the two partners really do become part of a whole and when one of you is missing, the remaining one is incomplete. One needs a reason to get up out of bed in the morning. I am reminded of a scene from Sleepless in Seattle where the character Sam says to Dr Marsha Fieldstone: Well, I'm gonna get out of bed every morning... breathe in and out all day long. Then, after a while I won't have to remind myself to get out of bed every morning and breathe in and out... and, then after a while, I won't have to think about how I had it great and perfect for a while. 
I don't know what is the right thing to say to someone who has lost their partner, their other half. I can't say I understand how she feels but I can imagine it. I have posted about our Foster Daughter that we had to give up after 4 years...When she left, I didn't want to get out of bed and get dressed....I'm thankful that I had friends and family to help me through those first days, weeks, and months.....I had others in my home who felt the loss deeply too and so after a while we began to share things we remembered about our loved one and that helped us to share our grief.

It is so important to have people in our lives. I value my friendships. I value the friendships I have made through blogging. And even though we have never met in person, I thank God for you.

Thank you for stopping by and reading my thoughts.

7 comments:

  1. your words are so true.... we do need to value friends..
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all need friends. Some times when there are no words to say, it helps to just sit and cry with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I enjoyed that movie and actually it is showing right now on HBO! You say "I am so sorry for your loss" and just listen. Also it is very important to talk about their loved one. They need to talk them and also when the dust settles it is even more important to sit with them. That is when they will need you the most......((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. So thankful for you too my friend, love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so right. Friends are the seasoning in our lives.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopping by to catch up with you...
    I can't make a quick stop at Hobby Lobby either! I'm like a kid in a candy store :)
    So sorry to hear about your friend losing her spouse. That's a tough one. Several of my friends have already lost their husbands, and I, like you, am always at a loss for words, when it happens. Mostly, I pray a lot for them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are right, it is hard to know what to say to a friend who has lost their life partner...what DO you say? I always offer my phone number and tell them call me whenever you need to or want to...just trying to be there for them and them knowing you care is a big lift for all...have been fighting RA most of the winter and it slows down my blogging considerably...sometimes I stop by to read but my fingers hurt to bad to type...I've been here, just a silent visitor...
    hugs
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete